Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Splurge or Save: The Peplum Jacket



There's something about garments with an exaggerated peplum that I just love. Maybe it's the ultra defined structure. Maybe it's the clothing equivalent of dotting each "i" with a little heart - a perfect flourish.

Some people will probably say that you have to have a narrow body today to be able to pull off this style, but I think that if you pick the right cut and the right pieces to go with it, most anyone can get away with it.

Things to keep in mind when choosing a peplum top or jacket: (1) While the peplum itself is full, make sure that the garment has a slim fit in the arms and bodice. If it's not quite right, take it to a local tailor - it's inexpensive to have clothing taken in a bit, and it makes a world of difference. (2) Go slim with the bottoms as well, as in ultra skinny jeans or a pencil skirt. Any extra volume at the bottom and it will look like you're drowning in your outfit.

Now the question is: which to choose? Splurge on this glamorous jacket from Givenchy, a mere $4145.00, or save on this Tibi striped peplum jacket, $495.00?

11 comments:

lauren said...

well shit, i think they are both a splurge, i mean, in my world. but i'd go for the striped one because i kinda think the Givenchy one looks a bit "vaginal" - can i say that on the internet?

Secondhand Stella said...

Both are a bit of a splurge! I would save my money and buy one at one of the chain stores. I feel like we will be sick of this look by next year.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Pretty Little World said...

L - I'm almost positive that "vaginal" isn't the worst thing that's been said on the internet, so you're probably okay.

B - I think they're both kind of pricy too, but I couldn't find a cheap version :( There were some sad looking t-shirts with a peplum (which is weird, no?), but that was it.

Sécia Mischke said...

LOL, Lauren! That jacket is pretty fantastic. I'd like to see those t-shirts you mentioned.

Happy Valentine's Day!

♥ sécia
www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

Pretty Little World said...

This is one of the t-shirts with the peplum. I like the idea, but I think the fabric just doesn't allow for the same kind of structure, so it just seemed gathered or bunched in an odd way.

Anonymous said...

http://whatiwore.tumblr.com/post/17657840320/shop-the-trend-peplums

KristiMcMurry said...

I love the color of that Givenchy jacket. I have seen some really pretty peplum skirts that I'd be willing to try! It's an interesting shape, for sure.

saira said...

All I can think of with the Givenchy is 'vagina' now...

Unknown said...

omg I wouldn't spend that much on either! lol... I'd find a vintage version ;)

Jax said...

Have you seen the fall burberry collection? it has so many wonderful things like this. there are some pics on this blog http://www.garancedore.fr/en

Dasha said...

that givenchy one is so utterly amazing. and in all the different colors they made it in, especailly the sequin. gorgeous.

I just purchased this one,
http://www.shopcollageboutique.com/servlet/the-303/POWER-SHOULDER-BLACK-LAYER/Detail
which is pretty dramatic as well. I'm excited to wear it!