Saturday, June 7, 2008

pretty . little . artchitecture

When I was little, for a brief period, I wanted to be an architect. Unfortunately my drawing skills stop somewhere near "advanced stick figure" and so my design hopes were dashed.

So rather than becoming an architect myself, I'm happy to read about/look at interesting architecture (no drawing skill required).

A friend introduced me to the designs of two very unusual "architects" (artists/architects/poets) - Arakawa and Madeline Gins. Right off of the bat I'll say that some of what they've written to explain their architectual designs is more than a bit pompous. But if you can get past that, the raw ideas are amazing.

What they're attempting to do with architecture is difficult to explain in a tiny blog post, but the gist of it is that if we can rid ourselves of any preconceived ideas (about everything) through living in spaces that defy all ideas about how a "house" should be, we can live forever. Etc.

This sounds a little crazy until you see some of what they've built:



To read more, check out their website at: Reversible Destiny

No comments: