Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Petoskey . and . Charlevoix










The northwestern part of the lower peninsula is very much a resort area. There are people who make their homes there year round, but the small cities and towns subsist on tourism. I'd been to Traverse City before, but this was my first time going up a bit further to Charlevoix and Petoskey. Even though we just got home, I'm ready to go back!

You can see the lake from most places in both towns, and both town centers have the feel of the east coast of the US. There are pretty harbors, cozy little bookstores and coffee shops, lots of music and theatre throughout the summer, and a slew of great restaurants.

It's just over a three hour drive from where we live now, and I can't for the life of me figure out why we haven't been sooner!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Haven't been away this year as finishing house to sell and move on. So, a real pleasure to 'surf' and see others beautiful adventures. Love the fungi house! merci a plus...

an old fashioned girl said...

so relaxing looking... makes me want to be on vacation yesterday!

drollgirl said...

these photos are LOVELY!!! i wish i was there RIGHT NOW!!! i am not kidding! work sucks assssssssss, and this place would be the perfect remedy to put a smile on my face!

Teresa @ good-grace said...

oh my... I want to go! The images are lovely. Sounds like I will have to "bookmark" this one for a family vacation. Thanks for the tip!!

BrooklynBlonde said...

Wow, i feel at piece just looking at those beautiful images!

Unknown said...

wow ...it's unreal!!! ...it's the same distance as Vegas is for us ...but I'd rather have this maybe ;)

KristiMcMurry said...

how beautiful!!! I love the sky in that last one. In the words of Liz Lemon, "I want to go to there"

Leigh said...

Shout of from a fellow Michigander :) Your pictures are BEAUTIFUL! :)

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing! I've never seen the Great Lakes outside of Grosse Point and Cleveland. I want to see the smaller communities, this area would be ideal. Ahhh...yet another pretty place on my "must see" list.

My Dream Garden said...

Wonderful photos! We vacationed near there last month. I'll post some photos on my blog. I love the whole area. Problem is that Michigan has so much shoreline, and so much to see and do, that it's difficult to leave the State!