Monday, April 27, 2009

New . Furniture

This past weekend I finally got over my fears of refinishing and reupholstering furniture. I always figured that any sort of this must be really difficult, and better left to people who are not me.

Well, I found two harp-back dining chairs at the thrift store, and decided to give them a new look -- if it didn't work out, I wouldn't be out much money.

Here is one of the original chairs:



...very scraped up and really.really unattractive fabric

But then, after two coats of graphite gray paint and $3.00 worth of fabric from Joann:





I've still got to refinish the other chair, but I kind of like how this first one turned out! I'm even thinking about finding and refinishing a vintage dining table too!!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

beautiful! I have a cushion for a chair in my apt that desperately needs a face list and now I'm inspired to get to it!

miriam said...

gorgeous!

the fabric looks like a Stig Lindberg pattern...

Kasey said...

it turned out GORGEOUS!!
p.s. i'm sending you an invite to my little shop!
xo

Secondhand Stella said...

That came out great! Congrats! I am always afraid of tackling those projects on my own too.

Jaimee McClellan said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog...yours is fantastic! Love the chair-makeover!!!

Anonymous said...

do you remember the apollo earrings giveaway from leah sakellarides on joanna's blog a few weeks ago?! well leah is giving away another beautiful piece this week on my blog, macaroni club! she is so talented, and so sweet to do this! i'd like to invite you to come visit macaroni club, and if you like this piece of leah's, sign up to win it!
xo... sarah

drollgirl said...

it looks SO GREAT!!! well done!!! i almost want to try it!!!

LF said...

Great transformation! I have about 3 or 4 chairs stored in my parents garage I've been meaning to giving a face lift! nice job!

jess s//

alissa said...

nice work! it looks great

Unknown said...

O my god you did so well with this! Did you sew the fabric on? I can't sew. I'd probably have to stapled it together!

Pretty Little World said...

Whoa...careful there with those crazy words like "sewing!"

I just cut the new cushioning to fit, then stapled the fabric to the wooden seat, and then re-screwed the seat onto the chair.

I wish that I could sew, but that is a skill that has passed me by :)

Anonymous said...

Such great chairs. Would love them under a glass dining table so you could still see how cute they are!

Betsy

Unknown said...

just like cinderella--your chairs are ready for the ball--or the front hall, or for the dinner party... they look terrific!

rustlethepetals said...

That turned out phenomenal! It looks like a brand new chair :)

Pandora said...

I really love the material you used,it's gorgeous,and goes so well with the darker paint you put on the chair.Very classy!

Nik said...

Soooo nice. I love green, black and white interior stuff.

http://oignonsetail.blogspot.com/