Thursday, August 13, 2009

It . Could . Have . Been . Worse



I have to admit that tonight I had an ugly moment.

My parents' birthdays fall within one week of each other, so tonight B. and I, my brother and his girlfriend, and my parents all went out to dinner at a lovely restaurant, Dusty's Wine Celler. We rarely have schedules that all line up, so it was a lovely evening to spend with family, and the food was amazing (I had the most delicious almond-crusted whitefish with truffle grits!!).

After dinner B. and I went to the book store for a bit, and then he treated me to ice cream for dessert!

Well, as we were waiting in line, there was a woman with her daughters in front of us. All of these girls were pretty, but one girl in particular --probably about 13 or 14 -- was gorgeous, like, model gorgeous: blonde hair, flawless skin, teeny little stick legs. And the only thought that kept going through my head?

"I Hate You."

Probably hating a girl who I don't know is not a productive use of any of my time. But: It's. Not. Fair. I have to work at these things -- skin care routines that get longer and longer; going to the gym; money at the salon -- and sometimes not even these yield results.

I feel that this is just a small stumble on my way to becoming a fully satisfied person, hopefully this is my only "ugly moment" of the year, and it certainly could have been uglier...at least I didn't tell her that I hated her ;)

6 comments:

Melanie said...

ugh. feel like this all the time.

elsie said...

no worries, she probably hates you too...

Secondhand Stella said...

Awww, don't be so hard on yourself! No one is perfect and everyone has at least one thing they don't like about themselves... I am sure she is insecure about something too.

BEES'NETTA said...

I LOVE that you used a gnarley pig to illustrate this post....that's how I feel when I around youths. :)

Unknown said...

I know exactly how you feel! My high school aged sister and all her friends look like stinkin models!! I wish I could have gotten the genes that she got!

Teresa @ good-grace said...

okay.... this is hilarious! (probably b/c I feel relieved knowing I'm not the only one who has thought such things... hee hee...)